Sunday, July 31, 2011

Wearing Juanita

The venue was the foundation for the rest of my planning. Most wedding chitter chatter with any girl usually includes the peppering of basic, predictable questions vaguely along the lines of dress, hair, colours etc.
"Do you know what kind of dress you want?" Depends on the Venue/time of year etc. "Flowers?" Are seasonal.  "Do you know what you will do with your hair?" Depends on the dress, which depends on the venue..so on and so forth you get the picture. I mean all very well and good having all these amazing ideas but, for me, its a case of being able to understand what, why, when, where and how it all fits together which means having the venue organised complete with a date to match! Now that we have that, we can move on!

And boy did I move, a week later I had a photographer, a DJ, two florists, a potential hairdresser and half a celebrant. They are the basics covered off. I'm guilty of it on occasion but I've gotta say, I'm not a huge fan of leaving it until the last minute. Luckily, I still have 657,000 minutes left to organise the rest of it.

MOB was excited about dress shopping. We kept it on the down low and organised an appointment (last minute) to try on a couple of sneaky wedding dresses. It was a special MOB moment. She's seen it all before when MOH was planning her wedding but I knew she still had some mother of the bridely tears left in her. It was my duty to extract them.

One of the things I'm still struggling with on the whole dress thing...is the names. Do we HAVE to give them a name? They are not people. I want to wear MY dress, I dont want my dress to wear me. So, wow, I tried on some really amazing gowns. With really shitty names. I'm sorry I don't care how beautiful she is, I'm not wearing Juanita. I'm also not wearing Bernadette, Tallulah, Delilah, Dakota, Brooklyn or Jezabel. Jezabel!! Seriously, I would be more than happy to wear JLK3349 in white. Bad news is that this little marketing palava is widespread. I'd call it an epidemic, but it's more than likely pandemic. Like most industries, its seems to be a case of, someone started doing it so we should do it too.

It would be OK if I was allowed to name the dress. In fact maybe someone should get out there and tell these designers and boutiques this little pearl of wisdom. You can have this beautiful gown, its yours, you can even name it, if you want to. I would love to name my own dress. Like when I eventually have children, I'd like to name them too. Its not like the midwife or whatevs is going to deliver the baby, clean it up and hand it to me and go "Congratulations! Meet little Latishia!" noooo, take it back, I want one with a better name.

Anyway, I tried on over 10 dresses. It was tough going. And still no tears from MOB. I was starting to panic. The consultant assured me that we still hadnt pulled out the big guns, if all else failed we could stick a veil on, the veil turns on the waterworks apparently.

But then, a vision in white, i emerged from the fitting room, stood on the box and walah. Finally. Get the woman a tissue, get me out of this thing and lets get out of here! Mission accomplished. Made MOB cry and figured out what I dont want. A few weeks on, the idea of what i do want becomes more and more clear. But I haven't even started thinking of names.

No comments:

Post a Comment