Friday, July 15, 2011

The Proposal

Where it all began. Well, the night that was to set in motion an unstoppable chain of events and the chaos and confusion that is now my life. Don't get me wrong, it was all I ever wanted from the moment Fiance and I started dating. The previous 12 months of his life had been filled with obvious suggestions, clues, prompts, the odd picture of an engagement ring left lying strategically around the house, links to the Tiffany's website sent via email - persistent nagging really. I was chastised on more than one occasion. I think I even went a couple of weeks without a single engagement reference or mutter. Fighting back tears when friends, seemingly constantly, announced their happy news! "I'm so happy for you!" read: insanely jealous and it should have been me. I'm never getting married, it's just not going to happen, he doesn't love me etc etc and  then POW  - a rare moment of clarity - why does it matter? We don't need to get married. I love this man and we will have an amazing life together whether we are married or not. Since when did I become such a tradionalist?

But, let's face it, every little girl grows up dreaming of their wedding day, have no idea why, although I would love to do find out! (refer to about us re: anthropology). I guess it's one of those many socially constructed ideals that we are all pre-conditioned to aspire to. In any event, I am destined to conform to this one, and I'm sure I'll love every minute of it. You won't be dragging me kicking and screaming down the aisle.

Anyway girls, the nagging paid off. Fully recommend it. Fiance popped the question after dinner one night at a restaurant that we had shared out first date and frequented intermittently thereafter for special occasions, anniversary's and date nights. Every time we go, we can still recall exaclty where we sat, when it was, what we ate and how we held back hysterical laughter as the waiter read out the never ending list of specials, which is always rehearsed but sometimes improvised, in a thick Italian accent.

I had a sneaking suspicion it was coming from the moment we met at home earlier that night. (See about us re: insightful) Fiance came home after soccer and, with drinks, we relaxed on the couch and chatted casually. Fiance carelessly put his I phone down, the recently called list highly visible to onlookers (me).  Clue #1: FOB (my dad) had been recently called. Instantly blushing, I could not wipe the smile from my face. Fiance questioned what I was smiling about. "Nothing". ha. It was happening tonight. What does one wear when one knows one is going to be proposed to?! "How is the limo going to back down the driveway babe?"
Fiance: "What? I'm not proposing." Clue #2. Ha. Really.

Upon entering the fine dining restaurant, I instantly felt eyes on me, the wait staff seemed bad at keeping secrets, the hostess smiling sweetly at me - knowingly. Or so I thought. Dinner was amazing as usual. Except Fiance was uncharacteristically throwing back the wines. Clue #3. By the end of dinner he was really quite pissed!

We had no time for dessert, dinner was over. Our car had arrived to pick us up and it was time to leave. I was puzzled. Perplexed. I had pictured myself exploring my petit fours for a hidden suprise, every sip of champagne bringing with it the careful anticipation of a foreign, shiny object between the bubbles. Hmmm, it was the beginning of a long weekend. Perhaps he was planning on doing it tomorrow. We left.

As we walked outside onto the pavement, Fiance grabbed me. "This is where we had our first kiss", he said. "I know", my reply, "Our car is waiting, let's go".  It all happened very quickly from there. The words bubbling out of Fiance like the water feature at the front of the restaurant. Down on one knee, a few tears, lots of hugs and kisses. He got me. I was now officially in shock. Shaking, quiet. Of course I'd said YES. As if there was any doubt, but that ring was ON before a peep out of me! (a perfectly sized Princess Cut solitaire. Tiffany's. He'd done exceptionally well).


The car ride home was unusually quiet. Still in shock. A quiet moment to reflect and process the enormity and emotion of the nights events and, perhaps ,what lay ahead. We arrived home, our driver turning to us and saying "when you set a date, think of us for your big day". And that's when it all began....

No comments:

Post a Comment