Friday, July 15, 2011

The 1st hour

I'm writing these posts retrospectively and with creative licence. We are currently 6 weeks into our engagement and it has been a whirlwind of amazing. Elation, happiness, celebration, best wishes, congratulations, excitement and trepidation as we venture into the unknown and let this thing, our wedding, consume us.

I have complete confidence that this will not change 'us'. Fiance and I are a brand. We may go through updates, revisions and tweaks, but we know who 'we' are and are fiercely protective of our brand integrity.

I have called the blog the 12408 hour wedding as you could almost pin point the moment it arrived into our lives. An unexpected and unfamiliar guest. Like a European backpacker who suddenly arrives on your doorstep and wants to stay on your couch... for 15 months. Great at first, the excitement of something new to think about, talk about, busy yourself with. Then, within a matter of weeks, the novelty wears off, you're sick of the dirty dishes clogging the kitchen sink, someone elses hair clogging the shower drain, your food and booze disappearing, the late nights, the language barrier etc etc. OK, maybe not the best analogy, but you get my point.

There is no way to prepare for how this is going to effect you. You don't know. My sister, aka Matron or MOH, has been through this, didn't blog about it but has plenty of helpful advice. My first phone call to her after 'The Proposal' was full of excitement and genuine happiness (even though it was late at night espcially for a mother of two young children). "We dont know what to do now", i said. "Go have sex", her advice. Good advice Matron. An awkward conversation to have relayed to one half of my in laws the next day. Awkward for them. I was blissfully unaware of social graces, still overcome by emotion and the half bottle of champagne i had quickly consumed. Note to self. Don't talk about sex with in laws. It's awkward.

Wedding had an immediate presence in our lives. We went out to celebrate the day after 'the proposal', me - still coming to terms with the feeling of the ring on my finger and what it meant, Fiance - blissfully unaware of what would ensue in the weeks to come. Wedding Tsunami was not on his radar.

The first thing to come to terms with upon going public with our announcement was the obvious but completely stupid question which we encountered over and over again. "Congrats, have you set a date?". Seriously? WTF? We got engaged last night. This wedding shit is crazy but we didnt sit down immediately after the propsal/acceptance and discuss venues/guest lists/dates etc. (that was at least 24 hours later). People that ask that question have never been engaged. We just wanted to try to make this feeling last as long as we could, knowing the Wedding was on it's way!

The first 4-5 weeks on engagement were amaaze.  Catching up with friends and family and celebrating. This weekend is our first without more than one catch up or spontaneous session, 'just because we should go out because we're still in celebration mode'. It's nice.

I'll make my apologies now. I have lost my mind. My blog will jump around as I try to catch up and come to terms with the last 6 weeks. It has been an amazing journey thus far, leading to my desire to blog. (Me - babe, do you think anyone will read this?") Even if no one does, it's a fantastic way for me to get it out of my head so i can sleep at night. The other night I dreamt of bonbonierres.

My point is, Wedding arrived quickly, and is here to stay for a while. I love it like a best friend, one that is fun most of the time, but gives you the shits at others. Wedding produces funny moments and experiences you hope never to forget, introduces you to new friends and reacquaints you with old ones. It is almost like a person, a force in its own right, that will wreak havoc upon our lives until it is gone. And then we will miss it dearly. Already, I can't imagine my life without Wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment